Big Island Helicopter Tours (Hilo)
Take a flight to the World’s most active volcano. The Big Island has been erupting almost continuously since 1983, pouring red-hot molten earth into the cool waters of the Pacific Ocean.
Book a Kauai Helicopter Tour
Safari Helicopters has been awarded 10 stars—the highest ever awarded—by the Hawaii Helicopter Operator’s Association.
PLEASE NOTE: Safari operates out of the Hilo Airport on the island’s eastside.
40-45 Minute Tour | Volcanic Activity | Lava Flowing to the Pacific
See volcanic activity. Soar directly to current volcanic activity to view sights which may include cinder cones, lava lakes, glowing skylights and lava flowing into the ocean to create black sand beaches. Also view the Lava Tree Forest. learn more
Regular: $206.00 per person | Web: $147.00 + $22 surcharge = $169.00 (save $59.00)
50-55 Minute Tour | Volcanic Activity | Lava Flowing into the Sea | Waterfalls
Volcano & Waterfalls! Everything that you see on the Volcano Safari PLUS additional flight time to see spectacular waterfalls on the upper
Wailuku River, and view the Hilo Bayfront (weather permitting). learn more
Regular: $229.00 per person | Web: $167.00 + $22 surcharge = $189.00 (save $62.00)
All Safari Big Island helicopter flights leave from Hilo.
Flights Rules and Recommendation
- SAFETY. Our primary concern is safety of the flight. We are required by FAA Regulations to perform a weight and balance calculation. All passengers will be weighed including all carry-on items upon checking in at our office prior to their flight. In addition, a safety briefing will be provided prior to the flight.
- COMFORT. Our secondary concern is comfort for all passengers. Anyone over the weight of 250 lbs. may be charged an additional fee. Any person over the weight of 275 lbs. will be charged an additional fee. All hats and oversized bags (including photo bags) are not allowed on the flight. If you have any questions, please contact our office by telephone or email.
- CHILDREN. Children under 24 months and less than 25 lbs. are considered a “lap Child” (no charge), however, we do not recommend or encourage “lap children” on the flight.
- CHECK-IN. Check-in time is 45 minutes prior to the departure time. We have storage lockers in Lihue for all unnecessary bags or items located at our office. In Hilo, please leave these items in your vehicle. In our office enjoy our complimentary fresh Kona blend coffee.
- FLIGHT. Personalized narration including two-way communication with the pilot in order to ask questions during the flight, choreographed music recorded on our live video, Bose X noise cancellation headsets, exclusive Sky Light windows for vertical viewing of Mt. Waialeale Crater, air-conditioning for climatic control, custom leather seats and left-hand pilot seat affording more passenger viewing while flying clockwise around the island of Kauai.
- VIDEO OF ACTUAL TOUR. A digitized DVD of actual tour is available that will include the narration, your voice when asking questions and choreographed music. Please be aware that the video has certain limitations and it is recommended to be played on a TV that is not HD! The DVD is available for $30.00.
- PHOTOGRAPHY. Keep in mind, this is a sightseeing tour. If one is an avid or professional photographer and expects the highest quality of photographs, we recommend chartering the helicopter for your exclusive usage. Otherwise, we highly recommend wearing dark clothing in order to reduce any potential glare or reflection. We consider flying with doors off as safety concern due to potential articles escaping the cabin and possibly causing unnecessary damage to the rotor and tail rotor systems while in flight. NTSB has documented multiple cases of this happening. These cases are available for your purview upon request.
- LANGUAGES. Tours may be available in German and Japanese. Please contact our office for additional information.
- SCUBA DIVING. No scuba diving 24 hours prior to the flight.